MLAG legal journey
Following is the list of legal cases taken up by MLAG which are currently in courts either in Punjab & Haryana High Court or in Supreme Court. None of them is for a personal issue but for issues which effect all Doctors of modern medicine. Still only 399 out of total 9.5 lac MBBS doctors in the country have contributed to MLAG to bolster our morale plus enable us to pursue these matters as they deserve to be pursued.
Any fool can file a case in court. To succeed we need good preparation, good representation and lot of funding. It is not a part time job or something to be done as a favor only to do when we find time. What is needed is a dedicated team of doctors / advocates / office staff to spend time on these to ensure success. The minimum an average doctor can do is to contribute financially towards what we all feel should be done but we expect someone else to do it. Well MLAG is now the someone else. We take up common cause issues from all over the country to get legal relief. But this is a tall task which cannot be done without active support of every MBBS doctor in the country whether he is in Govt , private sector or is a corporate employee.
Many other issues remain to be tackled some of which we are already preparing for. doing the ground work using RTI Act to collect documents needed.
1) MLAG vs CHANDIGARH ADMINISTRATION Why doctors have to pay commercial charges for various utilities CWP 20225 of 2013 PUNJAB & HARYANA HIGH COURT
2) MLAG vs PUNJAB MEDICAL COUNCIL Why doctors have to register in PMC if they are registered elsewhere to practice in Punjab PUNJAB & HARYANA HIGH COURT
3) MLAG vs UNION OF INDIA/STATE OF HARYANA/STATE OF PUNJAB & ORS Why Doctors are arrested under section 304 A without taking a medical Board's opinion CWP (PIL) 19472 OF 2014 PUNJAB & HARYANA HIGH COURT
4) MLAG vs DIRECTOR HEALTH SERVICES, UT OF CHANDIGARH Why no action is taken against a quack who claims to remove gall bladder stones with medicines when complaint has been lodged PUNJAB & HARYANA HIGH COURT
5) MLAG vs GOVT OF PUNJAB Why NRI students do not have to appear in entrance exam for MBBS
6) MLAG vs MOTI LAL YADAV & ORS Why doctors cannot protest or go on strike SLP (CIVIL) CC 19569 OF 2016 SUPREME COURT OF INDIA
7) CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE VELLORE vs UNION OF INDIA FINANCIAL SUPPORT GIVEN TO SANKALP CHARITABLE TRUST TO CONTEST NEET NOT APPLICABLE TO PRIVATE COLLEGES CWP (CIVIL) 480 OF 2013 SUPREME COURT OF INDIA
8) IMA HARYANA VS STATE OF HARYANA FINANCIALLY SUPPORTED CASE against permission given to AYUSH to practice allopathy PUNJAB & HARYANA HC
Sometimes I feel disheartened but when I look at the next generation of students studying to become a "Doctor" I feel strengthened. I have often blamed our previous generation for having let the profession down.The CPA applicability to doctors but not to advocates is a legacy of our seniors who did not have time , inclination or vision to oppose it. I do not want my next generation to curse me and my generation that we did not do enough for the profession. I do not want them to say that had I tackled CPA/NMC/CEA head on when it was neccessary they would not have been in professional dire straits. I want them to have the consolation that atleast we had tried even if we failed to improve the situation for them. Please help us to help the next generation.
Dr Neeraj Nagpal
Convenor,Medicos Legal Action Group, Managing Director MLAG Indemnity,
Ex President IMA Chandigarh
Director Hope Gastrointestinal Diagnostic Clinic,
1184, Sector 21 B Chandigarh
09316517176 , 9814013735
0172; 4633735, 2707935, 2706024, 5087794
For Contributions; "Medicos Legal Action Group" Ac No 499601010036479 IFSC code UBIN0549967 Union Bank Sector 35 C Chandigarh;